Lake Travis Independent School District offers dyslexia services to students identified with dyslexia at each campus. The District utilizes a variety of instructional models to meet the needs of students with dyslexia, including pull-out dyslexia instruction, reading acceleration classes, and classroom accommodations. The goal of these services is to facilitate the development of skills and compensation strategies which will enable students with dyslexia to become independent, proficient readers.
In addition to the provision of reading instruction to students with dyslexia, the District also affords educators and parents professional development opportunities in the area of Dyslexia.
Click here for more information regarding Child Find in LTISD.
Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede the growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.
(Adopted by the International Dyslexia Association Board of Directors, November 12, 2002)
Texas has special rules and policies regarding the early identification of, instruction for, and accommodations for students with dyslexia. The Dyslexia Handbook: Procedures Concerning Dyslexia and Related Disorders can be found here:
- Documents published by the Texas Education Agency:
- Documents published by the Texas State Library Archives
- Texas State Library Archives Talking Book Program - Information about the Texas State Library Archives Commission's Talking Book Program (English).
- Texas State Library Archives Programa de libros que hablan - Información sobre el programa de libros que hablan por la Biblioteca del Estado de Texas y Comisión de Archivos (Español)
- Education Service Center Information
- Region 10 Dyslexia Services - Region 10 ESC's Dyslexia Program provides both regional and state assistance to districts, charter schools, universities, parents, service centers, and other entities in the area of dyslexia.
- Region 13 Dyslexia Services - Region 13 ESC's Dyslexia Program provides assistance and support to the 16-county regional area encompassing LTISD.
- Other Resources
- International Dyslexia Association - The International Dyslexia Association (IDA) is a nonprofit organization seeking to study and treat dyslexia for the benefit of those with dyslexia and their families.
- Austin Dyslexia Parent Network - Local parent community.
Elementary Dyslexia TeachersBee Cave Elementary(512) 533-6250Lake Pointe Elementary(512) 533-6500Lake Travis Elementary(512) 533-6300Lakeway Elementary(512) 533-6350Rough Hollow Elementary(737) 931-3000Serene Hills Elementary(512) 533-7400West Cypress Hills Elementary(512) 533-7500Itinerant Dyslexia Teacher
Secondary Dyslexia TeachersBee Cave Middle School(737) 931-2400Hudson Bend Middle School(512) 533-6400Lake Travis Middle School(512) 533-6200Lake Travis High School(512) 533-6100