Check out the Calendar for Meeting Times and Locations: www.pflagaustin.orgMake a difference when you learn your child, a family member, or a friend is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or questioning (LGBTQ). PFLAG Austin provides direct, peer support to people who need answers to their questions and help with strengthening family and life relationships. Our support groups meet each month and offer a nonjudgemental outlet for issues, thoughts, and feelings as well as the ability to meet other people in similar situations. Meetings are also opportunities to learn about GLBTQ (another common way to express the letters) people and their families - through speakers, videos, and discussions. Those who come for help often become those who help others. PFLAG Austin is making a safer world for LGBTQ people and their family members by dispelling myths and by communicating the truth about GLBT families and friends. PFLAG Austin reaches out to schools, faith communities, and other organizations to encourage leadership that fosters community acceptance of diversity.
What is PFLAG Austin ?
PFLAG Austin is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was established in 1994. We are a local chapter of the National PFLAG organization supporting Central Texas. In addition to our monthly meetings we participate in several events throughout the year to help drive awareness and community focus.
Our primary focus is our mission statement which we facilitate in the following ways
- Our monthly confidential support group meetings offer a non-judgmental outlet for feelings
- If you would prefer to meet outside of a monthly meeting, we can arrange an individual and confidential meeting for your convenience. Contact us to request a meeting
- We provide various resources to help inform our members and/or visitors including: book & video library, guest speakers, booklets on specific topics, etc
- We are community focused and participate in several events throughout the year to drive awareness and promote education including: school panels, PRIDE Festival, LGBTQ events, and other various community events
- We help advocate for equality, striving to make Central Texas a better place
- We have a scholarship program to help with financial aid for qualified LGBTQ students who are trying to further their education
- Learn more by clicking on the colored tabs above.
Our Mission: PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights. Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays provides opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity, and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity.
Our Vision: We, the parents, families and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, celebrate diversity and envision a society that embraces everyone, including those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities. Only with respect, dignity and equality for all will we reach our full potential as human beings, individually and collectively. PFLAG welcomes the participation and support of all who share in, and hope to realize this vision.