Gifted & Talented - Discovery Program
The LTISD Fall Gifted & Talented Program nomination window is now open. You may nominate a student to be tested for the district Discovery/GT program through the end of the first grading period (Deadline for entry - October 16, 2020). Testing plans will be communicated by your campus GT teacher once they start scheduling testing. Testing takes place during the 2nd grading period and students who qualify begin participation in the Gifted and Talented Program in January 2021. Due to school closures during the pandemic, any request for GT testing made last spring will be combined with fall testing.
The GT/Discovery Program in LTISD is committed to:
- Developing a passion for learning, and personal growth so that students reach their talent potential as a life-long learner
- Delivering an enriched, rigorously accelerated curriculum apart from the standard classroom curriculum for identified students
- Differentiating curriculum and instructional delivery to align with the needs of students
- Directing all identified students toward intellectual, emotional, and social success in academics and life
So that all students’ intellectual, social, emotional and creative needs are met.
- Identify and serve students who perform in the top 3-5% of the students nationally in the areas of:
- general intellectual ability
- advanced academic achievement
- Provide exemplary units of study that both challenge and engage all identified students both intellectually and creatively.
- Provide learning opportunities in high order thinking skills, decision making, problem solving and reasoning.
- Address the social and emotional needs of identified students with the assistance of counselors, mentors, and peers.
- Assist classroom teachers in the process of differentiation for identified students.
- Strive to achieve exemplary status on the Texas State Plan for the Education of Gifted and Talented Students.