Protocols for Face Coverings
LTISD is required to comply with the governor’s executive order and Travis County’s order regarding the wearing of face coverings.
- All face coverings, including masks, must cover the nose and mouth.
- Cloth face coverings that provide a barrier to keep respiratory droplets from reaching others and that fully cover the nose and mouth, including disposable masks, homemade masks, gaiters, neck buffs and similar descriptors are acceptable where masks are required to be worn. Masks with open weave or exhalation valves or vents are prohibited
- Individuals will appropriately wear face coverings when required.
- Disposable masks will be available upon request if a student, staff member, or visitor forgets to bring their mask.
- Any person with a medical condition or disability that prevents him/her from wearing a face covering may be exempted with appropriate documentation. Individual needs regarding face coverings will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Requests for accommodations should be submitted to campus administration. (See Accommodations section.)
- The CDC does not recommend that face shields be used for normal everyday activities or as a substitute for cloth face coverings. Full-face shields to protect eyes, nose, and mouth may be used in place of a mask outdoors when distanced, in the classroom when distanced, or whenever the education context may benefit from the ability to see an individual’s face.
Expectations for Face Coverings
- LTISD requires students in all grade levels to wear a mask while riding a school bus.
- Students in pre-kindergarten through second grade will wear face masks in hallways, common areas, during arrival and dismissal, and in certain specialized classrooms and areas.
- Parents may elect to have their pre-kindergarten through second grade students continue to wear a face mask or a full face shield in the classroom or any other area or time not required by communicating such requests to the classroom teacher.
- Students in third through twelfth grades will wear face masks at all times while inside the school building, with certain exceptions. Students may use a full face shield instead of a mask while in the classroom when socially distanced or with teacher approval whenever the education context may benefit from the ability to see the student’s face.
- LTISD will provide full face shields to all students. Parents may also send students with a full face shield. However, face shields may not be worn in lieu of masks except as permitted outside, in the classroom, or by explicit directions.
- Students will not be required to wear face coverings while eating or drinking.
- It may be impractical for students to wear masks or face shields while participating in some athletic or other extracurricular activities. Students will have explicit directions from their teacher, coach, director or sponsor.
- Students will need to provide their own masks and families will be responsible for cleaning the face coverings daily.
- Students will not be required to wear a face covering while outside if they can maintain six feet of social distancing at all times.
Teachers and Staff
- Staff are required to wear a face mask at all times while inside an LTISD facility or while outside supervising students, except as provided below. This includes while in any socially distanced in-person meetings, in hallways, common areas, and during arrival and dismissal
- Full-face shields may be used in place of a mask to protect eyes, nose, and mouth when outdoors in educational settings where socially distanced or in the classroom when the education context may benefit from the ability to see an individual’s full face.
- Staff do not have to wear a face covering in their classroom, office, or outside if they are alone.
- Staff will not be required to wear face coverings while eating or drinking.
- Staff will be provided with 2 reusable masks and are responsible for daily cleaning.
- Teachers and receptionists will also receive 1 full face shield and are responsible for daily cleaning.
- Additional protective equipment will be provided to school nurses for use in the clinic.
- Staff may also provide their own masks or full face shields in accordance with district standards and are responsible for daily cleaning.