What is BUCS in Service?
BUCS in Service is an HBMS program designed to encourage students to volunteer in their community. Volunteering is a wonderful way to not only help others, but to increase one's own experiences. BUCS in Service is a great way to learn, meet new friends, gain unique experiences and make a positive impact in our world.
HBMS encourages students to become life-long learners, and BUCS in Service provides students an opportunity to experience the world outside the classroom and develop positive patterns in helping others.
Our Bucs in Service program also helps students prepare for CAVS in Service, our high school volunteer program, where students can earn a distinction cord to wear for graduation.
Our goal is to have every student volunteer for a minimum of five hours. HBMS students completing the 5 hours will also receive a certificate at the end of the year.
Who is eligible?
All students are eligible.
What will count as service hours?
- Activities benefiting our neighborhood, community and world
- Volunteering at church
- Activities in support of the HBMS PTO and BUCS in Service events
- Visiting nursing homes to work with seniors
- Working with special needs students outside of school
- Activities pre-approved by the HBMS principal including recycling and watering plants around the school
What will NOT count as service hours?
- Helping or assisting a for-profit activity, event or organization
- Activities done as part of/or result in fundraising of any type or kind
- Court-mandated community service
- Donations of money or items exchanged for service hours
- Work completed during the school day
- Babysitting or pet sitting
- Chores or household activities
- Helping a parent with his or her job
Middle School volunteer hour tracking starts over every year.
BUCS In Service Hours Tracking Form:
Bucs in Service Service Form (click on this link to enter your hours)
All service hours earned between May 1, 2019 and April 24, 2020 should be entered individually based on each service opportunity completed. Students must use their LTISD Google Account to enter their hours on the link above and fill in all information fully and accurately. Students should “Send me a copy of my responses” to help keep track of their own service hours.
The deadline for entering hours for the 2019-2020 school year will be April 24, 2020.