What is the GT/Discovery program?
Discovery is the academic enrichment/acceleration program provided for students who have been identified as intellectually and/or creatively gifted and talented.
How are students identified?
Students who are referred for the Discovery program go through a screening process, which involves five areas: verbal aptitude, nonverbal aptitude, achievement in math and reading, creativity, and qualitative data collection.
Who refers students?
A teacher, parent, student, or other interested persons observing a student with consistent evidence of gifted characteristics may refer him/her.
What are some of the characteristics of a gifted student?
- advanced/extensive vocabulary
- work advanced beyond the grade level/age
- extremely inquisitive, asks many questions, often challenging, provoking and/or demanding
- in-depth understanding of complex concepts
- persistence is evident in areas ofinterest
- high level of curiosity, energy, enthusiasm and vigor for new ideas
- advanced reasoning
- feels keenly about own ideas andsolutions to problems, and often expresses them regardless of what others may think
- likes to examine new possibilities for problems/solutions, rather than fitting within a structure
- especially original imagination
- sustained attention span
- initiates projects and often prefers towork alone
- keenly observant
- keen sense of humor
If you would like more information about the Discovery Program, please contact the Campus Discovery Program Coordinator, Thomas Seabolt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Elementary Discovery Program is a cross-curricular thematic based pullout program for students in 2nd – 5th grade. Participating students will demonstrate skill in self-directed learning, thinking, research, and communication as evidenced by the development of innovative products and performances that reflect individuality and creativity and are advanced in relation to students of similar age, experience, or environment. I work with teachers in kindergarten and first grade to provide enrichment activities.
The Discovery Program is available to all qualifying students regardless of race, gender, socio-economic status, special need or limited English proficiency. The identification processfor the Discovery Program is rigorous and fair. It is also flexible enough to deal with students who join the school from other districts. Please note previous GT enrollment upon registration.