Research shows that young children’s earliest learning experiences can have powerful long-term effects on their cognitive and emotional development, school achievement, and later life outcomes. The Lake Travis ISD Prekindergarten program provides high-quality early-learning experiences for our youngest students. Prekindergarteners:
- Develop phonological awareness, letter knowledge and early writing
- Understand and use increasingly complex and varied language
- Develop and demonstrate an appreciation for books
- Develop math skills
- Develop social and emotional competence
- Use language to communicate for a variety of purposes
Qualifying Prekindergarten Program
Prekindergarten Enrollment Instructions
Parents or guardians should register their child at the elementary school within the 2017-18 attendance zone associated with his/her residence.
Children who meet all registration and eligibility requirements and reside in:
- Bee Cave, Lake Pointe, Serene Hills (split), or West Cypress Hills elementary attendance zones will attend Prekindergarten at Lake Pointe Elementary
- Lake Travis, Lakeway, or Serene Hills (split) elementary attendance zones will attend Prekindergarten at Lake Travis Elementary
- All Lake Travis ISD children who meet all registration and eligibility requirements and receive bilingual services will attend Prekindergarten at Lake Travis Elementary
Parents or guardians will be required to provide proof of eligibility BEFORE the start of school in August in order for the child to enter the Prekindergarten program.
To be eligible for Prekindergarten, a child must live in the District, be 4 years of age on or before September 1, 2017, AND meet one of the following eligibility requirements
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- Be educationally disadvantaged (qualify for free/reduced lunch); or
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 USC Section11302, regardless of the residence of either parent of the child; or
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the US, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the US, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
- Be the child of a Guard and Reserve-Activated / Mobilized uniform members of the Texas National Guard-Army or Air Guard or the Activated / Mobilized members of the Reserve components of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard who are Texas residents regardless of the location of the reserve unit.
- Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code.
To pre-register a child, parents or guardians must present the following documents:
- Completed and printed LTISD Prekindergarten Eligibility Form
- Completed, printed and signed New Student Enrollment Packet:
- Certified copy of birth certificate*
- Proof of residency (i.e., lease agreement, sales contract, closing documents, property tax statement, or property deed and a current utility bill – water, electricity or gas – with matching address.)
- Immunization records (see Immunization Requirements)
- Social Security Card (preferred, but optional)
- Photo ID of parent/guardian enrolling child
*If your child was born in Texas, you may obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate from the Texas Health Department or the Austin Office of Vital Records. For instructions on how to order a certificate, visit www.austintexas.gov/birthcertificates.
Students will be successfully enrolled when all required documentation is complete, submitted and verified.