GT/DISCOVERY PROGRAM QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What is the GT/Discovery program?
Discovery is the academic enrichment/acceleration program provided for students who have been identified as intellectually and/or creatively gifted and talented.
How are students identified?
Students who are referred for the Discovery program go through a screening process, which involves five areas: verbal aptitude, nonverbal aptitude, achievement in math and reading, creativity, and qualitative data collection.
Students whose dominant language is Spanish will go through a screening process, which involves four areas: nonverbal aptitude, achievement in math and reading, creativity, and qualitative data collection. Achievement, aptitude, and creativity tests will be administered in Spanish when appropriate.
Who refers students?
A teacher, parent, student, or other interested persons observing a student with consistent evidence of gifted characteristics may refer him/her
What are some of the characteristics of a gifted student?
- advanced/extensive vocabulary
- work advanced beyond the grade level/age
- extremely inquisitive, asks many questions, often challenging, provoking and/or demanding
- in-depth understanding of complex concepts
- persistence is evident in areas of interest
- high level of curiosity, energy, enthusiasm and vigor for new ideas
- advanced reasoning
- feels keenly about own ideas and solutions to problems, and often expresses them regardless of what others may think
- likes to examine new possibilities for problems/solutions, rather than fitting within a structure
- especially original imagination
- sustained attention span
- initiates projects and often prefers to work alone
- keenly observant
- keen sense of humor