School Year 2020-2021: Learning. Transformed.
By order of local health officials, the 2020-2021 school year began on August 19 with remote learning at home for all students. On September 8, Lake Travis schools were opened to students whose parents or guardians selected in-person learning. No matter the location, we will continue to support our students and families throughout this year of "Learning. Transformed."
Lake Travis ISD's plans for the 2020-2021 school year and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) have been divided into the following sections:
- General FAQs
- In-Person Learning on Campus - Overview and FAQs
- Remote Learning at Home - Overview and FAQs
- TEA Approved LTISD Asynchronous Plan
Conditions and circumstances are changing rapidly. Please be reminded that our operational decisions are guided by the highest concern and care for staff and student safety. We will continue to operate within the guidelines and requirements mandated by Governor Greg Abbott, the Texas Education Agency, and Austin Public Health, taking all precautions available to us to operate schools safely and effectively.
Learning Options for Students
All families will select one of two options for their children.
- Option 1: Remote learning at home, full-time
- Option 2: In-person learning on campus, with heightened hygiene and disinfection protocols
Students currently in remote learning at home may switch to in-person learning at school only at the beginning of each grading period. Conversely, a student who is currently at school for in-person learning on campus may revert to remote learning at home at any time.
Updates to 2020-2021 Instructional Year Calendar
On November 18, the Lake Travis school board approved the submission of a waiver to the Texas Education Agency that will allow the district to add four days of staff professional development to the current 2020-2021 school year calendar. As a result, these four days will be observed as student holidays as indicated below:
- Friday, December 18, 2020
- Tuesday, January 5, 2021
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021
- Friday, March 5, 2021
The waiver also provides a half day for additional professional development which will be observed by students as an Early Release Day on Friday, March 12, 2021. Therefore, release times will occur as follows:
- Elementary Schools - 12:05 p.m.
- Middle Schools/High School - 1:15 p.m.
Due to these changes, our grading periods been modified as follows:
- End of 2nd Grading Period is now Thursday, December 17, 2020
- Start of 3rd Grading Period is now Wednesday, January 6, 2021
- End of 3rd Grading Period is now Friday, March 12, 2021
- Start of 4th Grading Period is now Monday, March 22, 2021
The waiver allows us to train our teachers and support staff on various educational strategies designed to improve student performance in lieu of instruction. Additionally, we believe these extra staff development days will give our teachers much needed time to plan and prepare while providing our students and families with added breaks to disconnect and recharge.
As a reminder, our current regular school day hours remain unchanged:
- Elementary School: 7:40 am to 3:00 pm
- Middle School: 8:50 am to 4:10 pm
- High School: 8:50 am to 4:10 pm
Please note, any and all information is subject to change in response to directives provided by governing authorities and/or health officials, or as environmental conditions warrant. Please visit this site often for updates.